The patient was experiencing a number of issues, including:
- An number of failed fillings
- Unhappy with a denture that was installed following an earlier extraction
- Uneven wear of the teeth due to bruxism (unconsciously grinding the teeth)
- A high number of amalgam (metal) fillings
- Yellowing of the teeth
Despite a regular oral hygiene plan, the patient's oral health was poor, this resulted in a lack of confidence due to insecurities about their smile. The patient expressed a desire to create a smile that would return their confidence, requesting straighter and whiter teeth.
Proposed Treatment Plan
My aim was to restore function by recommending a treatment plan with number of options, including:
- Replacing all amalgam (metal) fillings with white fillings
- Dental crowns to raise the bite (alleviating the uneven wear), and produce a whiter smile.
- Extraction of the teeth that could not be saved, replacing them with dental implants
- Installation of a dental implant to replace the denture. My recommendation also included the cheaper option of a dental bridge. The patient opted for dental implants.
- Teeth whitening program using our Enlighten Smiles® treatment
- Bruxism bite guard to prevent teeth grinding and uneven wear.
The treatment plan was broken down into stages to maximise the chances of a stable long-term result. The staged process had many benefits, including the financial advantage of spreading the cost over a number of months, allowing the bone to fully heal post-extraction.
Before and After Photographs